Sunday, March 30, 2008

Ride, Fatboy, Ride

I did my first races of the season this past week. I headed down to the local weekly race series and was thumped. Hard. It was about what I expected, since I have about 1/3 of the miles that the other guys have. It's what happens when you're sick. So I rode it out, worked on finding the line around the track, and refined my cornering technique.

Saturday I headed to my first real race of the season, and it went pretty well. My goals were to stay upright, finish in the top 3/4 of the field, and not get dropped. It was easier than I thought, but it was a bit of a battle. I hung on each lap up the climb. Finally after 6 times up that hill we were charging to the finish. I was in the mix for the field sprint, but got boxed in and ended up 23rd. A little bit more fitness and being a bit farther towards the front would have helped my cause. I met and exceeded all my goals. Guess I need to raise the bar for myself.

No comments: