Monday, May 19, 2008

Freedom

I'll be clear and concise. This coming Monday is Memorial Day. The day set aside for us to remember and honor the fallen servicemembers of our nation. I hate Memorial Day. It reminds me of friends who are gone, who left early so others wouldn't have to.

Freedom wasn't free for them.
Freedom isn't free for me.
Freedom isn't free for their families.
Freedom isn't what you want to do.
Freedom isn't easy.
Freedom is doing what you know is right.
Or needs to be done.
That's because you have a choice to do it or not.
That's freedom.

Nothing worth having is free. Deep down inside I know all of my fallen comrades would do it all over again, as would I, just so you'd be free from fear, oppression, and most of all, the horrific experience of combat. That is freedom.

I don't care about your beliefs and politics. I fought for your right to think what you want. I will gladly die so that we may disagree.

This Monday, take a moment. Think about those of us who aren't here. Thank those who are. It might make it easier for all of us. You just might feel better. Or don't. After all, it's a free country.

2 comments:

David Amulet said...

Expertly said. I like your phrasing about freedom--a unique take on it that captures so much.

May we always remember.

SK said...

=^..^=