Friday, March 09, 2007

tears

I finally got on my bike today. It was bittersweet. My hip feels better, but is still tender. Oddly enough, it didn't hurt at all riding, in fact it felt the best it has since the crash. It's my chest, especially my left side and peck. I can't stand and pedal easily. I can do it, but it hurts so much I had some tears coming out.

So, what does this mean? Nothing really, except that I'll have to adapt my riding style until my chest stops phoning it in. And I'm getting sick of those bills, by the way, chest. Just so you know. I'm hoping to race in a week.

I was emotional because today I finally fought the crash demons (who are a super secret division of Squirrel Interpol) and won. I was nervous for the first few miles. Last thing I need to be is nervous on the bike, it just invites another crash. Without asking the host (me) if it's ok. So the nerves settled down, and I had a nice ride from Libery Hill through Bertram and Oatmeal back to Liberty Hill.

I rode ok, actually better than I thought I would. I just hope I can get some good miles in my legs and heal some more. But we'll see. I have a history of surprising people and myself on occasion when the odds are long. Next weekend is a stage race. first race of the year was a stage race and I did much better than I thought I would. Let's see if I can improve on that.

Oh, and if you want to buy an american vehicle, buy a Toyota, not GM. Toyota, Honda and a few other "Foreign" brands actually are assembled here and use higher percentages of parts made in the US. It's a forthcoming post with details.

2 comments:

Katie said...

"Oh, and if you want to buy an american vehicle, buy a Toyota, not GM"

Do tell...

David Amulet said...

It really depends on what you mean by "foreign" anymore. It's harder and harder to tell, as Thomas Friedman has pointed out quite well in the past few years.

What makes a care "more foreign?"

Is it if the production plant is located across the border instead of in the US? If more parts are manufactured overseas than in the US? If fewer US workers work on it than foreign workers? If the profits go to a company based in Japan instead of one in Detroit?

Depending on your standard, you often get a different answer!

-- david